Friday, April 13, 2012

Allow Me to Vent

One of the things that's always worrisome is going under low bridges. There's one in town that I've seen trucks get stuck under and, after that incident at a New Jersey turnpike toll booth where I ran the air conditioning unit into the "Cars Only" sign, I've been rather paranoid.

So, I went up on the roof to get a measure of the highest point on the rig. As I walked to the A/C unit, I noticed that the roof vent looked cracked. I reached down to see if it was actually cracked and it basically disintegrated in my hand. Wonderful.

I looked at the other vent, touched it, and it too, fell apart. Super!

I had Deb go inside the rig and open one up so I could see how to take it off. Hmm, all I could see were rivets that did not look like they were made to come off. The hinge had no apparent way that it would let loose of the vent cover. What the heck? Do I have to replace the whole vent - scraping off the caulk, replacing and re-caulking?

To the Internets!

I found vent cover replacements but no mention on how one actually goes about replacing them. I finally found this video on YouTube that unlocks the secret.


I quickly detached the vent covers, determined which of the several varieties it was - they are not interchangeable, and went down to the RV parts store. It was an easy job to do the replacement.

1 comment:

  1. Having never driven a vehicle this tall ... mine is 9' 11" ... rounded to 10 feet or 120 inches ... that is also a concern for me. (Hitting a low bridge/barrier etc.) Haven't done it yet ... thank goodness.

    Just an FYI for you if you travel in Canada. The height warnings on bridges and overpasses are in metric. 3.3 metres, 4.4 metres etc. Be sure to know your height in metres if you travel here. I have mine in inches ... feet and inches and of course metric. All marked on the dash to be safe and sure.

    Regards

    Karsty

    ReplyDelete