Sunday, July 29, 2012

On the Level

During the Great Circle trip, the Right Rear leveling jack started acting up. The way the system is supposed to work is this; After getting the rig where you want to be and setting the Parking break, you press the On button once to turn on the system. A second press of the button swings the jacks down from being tucked up horizontally, into a vertical position. A third press of the button extends the jacks and automatically levels the rig.

Well, what was happening was that after the second press to swing the jacks down, the Right Rear LED on the control panel was not lit (like the other three were). A visual inspection of the jack showed that it was fully swung down just like the other three. A third press of the button simply turned the whole system off. Apparently, not getting that LED from the jack told the system that it couldn't do anything more and it quit. Luckily, I could turn on the system again and use some other buttons to manually extend the jacks and raise and level the rig. Not a big deal but something I'd like to get fixed.

Another thing I noticed was that when the RR jack was swung down but not "officially" extended, it was still extended a few inches anyway. None of the other three jacks was extended at all until I manually extended them from the panel. Strange.

I posted my problem on my favorite RV Forum asking if anyone had any ideas on what the problem could be. The general response was "Call the Manufacturer - they are usually pretty good at helping you out". Hmm, okay. I'll call.

Called HWH in Moscow, Iowa of all places and told them my issue. They said they would have a Tech call me back. After a few days, I got a call from Frank who asked me a few questions and had me do a test. He had me disconnect a connector at the jack and connect a jumper wire between the two wires on the harness coming from the control box. If the LED came on in that situation, he said that hopefully that means it's just a Warning switch going bad on the jack.

I did the test and sure enough, got the LED to come on. Back on the phone with him, I told him the results and, after charging my credit card for $27, shipped me a new one. Installation was easy. I just unscrewed the switch and screwed the new one in. I turned on the unit and all four LEDs lit up. Whoo Hoo!

I had Deb come out and swing down the jacks while I looked underneath so that I could make sure that I had enough slack in the wire before I zip-tied them up.

Job Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment